Thursday, February 25, 2010

The World that Moses Built

I have been busy working on converting the video of the Moses documentary to a format that youtube will accept. I am going to embed Part 4 of the film in this post because it contains the Stuyvesant Town footage in it's entirety, and that is what I am focusing on right now. If you would like to watch the documentary from the beginning, click here for Part 1 posted on youtube. I am amazed that no one has uploaded any of this documentary before now. It is one of the best documentaries that I have seen on any subject. The list of projects that Moses conceived and created is staggering. The New York Metropolitan Region, as it exists today, is largely because of the vision of this remarkable man. And when you realize just how much Robert Moses accomplished, and the grandeur of what he built, then you start to understand why there will never be another like him.

I am by no means blind to the downside of what he did, and this film deals at length with the controversy that accompanied many of his projects. But, in the final analysis, I think that the New York Times said it best in his obituary: "His (Moses') projects hurt thousands, but benefited millions"

The footage on Stuyvesant Town begins at the 2:56 mark.



1 comment:

  1. I am not a fan of Robert Moses for what he did to my old neighborhood in the Bronx. He had the chance to make the Cross Bronx Expressway in a way that would not have destroyed neighborhoods but chose instead to make the parking lot using a straight line. I lived up the block from that road and I remember it being built. Yes Moses did do many great things for NY, but he destroyed the Bronx.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete