Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Bronx Is Up and The Battery's Down

Through trial and error, I have been steadily teaching myself the intricacies of transferring video footage from analog to digital. Providing one has the correct hardware and software, the process is not that difficult. The problem is knowing what to buy and making sure it is compatible with my operating system. Connecting a VCR machine to a computer struck me as alchemy at first - it seemed impossible that it would actually work. But, the video embedded below stands as happy testimony to my success.

My obsession with all things NYC-related remains undiminished. This video sat for years in an analog format collecting dust, until I decided to bring it into the light of day via the magic of youtube. The footage provides a window that affords us a rare glimpse of the city as it appeared more then a half-century ago. And, even more remarkable, it is in full-color. We can be thankful that the producers of this film had the foresight to capture that world before it disappeared forever.

Embedded below is "The Vanishing El"...


No comments:

Post a Comment