Sunday, February 28, 2010

Boob Tube


The video sharing site youtube obviously does not have a coherent policy as regards their enforcement of copyright infringement. For example, the video that I have embedded in this post was also uploaded to youtube. Once the upload was complete and I went to view it, I discovered that youtube had disabled the audio because of my song choice. Well, the song that I chose is John Fogerty's 'Centerfield", an altogether appropriate track for the video. I then did a search on youtube and there were at least 50 hits for Fogerty's ode to springtime. All with perfectly functional audio. Did they all obtain permission from Warner?

This is the second time they have disabled the audio for one of my videos. It is more then frustrating because of the time and effort that go into synching up the video clips with the song choice. Obviously, no other song will work at that point so it is either back to the drawing board, or you post a silent movie. Youtube desperately needs to come up with a better system for allowing or disallowing content because this is unworkable.

The video in question is the highlight reel made from video I shot of my son Andrew's travel baseball team, during the Fall 2005 season. The players, known affectionately as the Pip Squeaks, were 6 or 7-years old at the time. The team was composed of players drawn from the Peter Stuyvesant Little League Program in Manhattan, and we played all our games either in Brooklyn, or out on Long Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment